ST311 - Introduction to Statistics
- Prerequisites: None
- Term & Frequency: Every semester
- Student Audience: A broad introductory course for a variety of majors. Many degree programs require ST311. Almost all majors are represented in ST311 except College of Engineering and College of Business.
- Credit: 3 credits
- Recent Texts: Stats Data and Models by De veaux, Velleman and Bock.
- Recent Instructors: Roger Woodard (coordinator), Herle McGowan
- Background and Goals: This is a broad overview of inference. It concentrates on the importance of data collection methods and the role of the sampling distribution in inference. It covers basic data collection, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing and simple linear regression.
- Content: Examining relationships between two variables using graphical techniques, simple linear regression and correlation methods. Producing data using experiment design and sampling. Elementary probability and the basic notions of statistical inference including confidence interval estimation and tests of hypothesis. One and two sample t-tests, one-way analysis of variance, inference for count data and regression.
Credit not allowed if student has prior credit for another ST course or BUS 350
- Alternatives: Students in Business would take ST350. Students in engineering take ST370 or the ST371/372 sequence.
- Subsequent Courses: ST312 (optional)
SP 2017 Sections:
|001||Woodard,Roger||01108 SAS Hall||08:30AM-09:20AM||F||35/30 - Closed|
|002||Woodard,Roger||01216 SAS Hall||08:30AM-09:20AM||F||34/30 - Closed|
|003||Woodard,Roger||01108 SAS Hall||09:35AM-10:25AM||F||35/35 - Closed|
|004||Woodard,Roger||01216 SAS Hall||09:35AM-10:25AM||F||31/30 - Closed|
|005||Woodard,Roger||01108 SAS Hall||10:40AM-11:30AM||F||34/30 - Closed|
|006||Woodard,Roger||01216 SAS Hall||10:40AM-11:30AM||F||35/30 - Closed|
|007||Woodard,Roger||01108 SAS Hall||11:45AM-12:35PM||F||33/30 - Closed|
|008||Woodard,Roger||01216 SAS Hall||11:45AM-12:35PM||F||35/30 - Closed|
|009||Woodard,Roger||01108 SAS Hall||12:50PM-01:40PM||F||35/30 - Closed|
|010||Woodard,Roger||01216 SAS Hall||12:50PM-01:40PM||F||35/30 - Closed|
Note: Only 10 sections are displayed, check the full course listings for the complete list.